CLAYFEST STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING - March 12, 2008
Attending: Susan Roden, Merry Newcomer, Michael Fromme,
Mary Hindman, Tim Sheehan, Frank Gosar, Karen Washburn, Paula
MacCullen, Holly Dubrasich, Avi Harriman
FRIDAY NIGHT GALA
Paula began the meeting by talking about the results of the email
survey asking 6 questions about a tentative FRIDAY NIGHT GALA OPENING
- A couple of people attending did not get the survey
- Michael Fromme said she emailed out about 100 of them
- Paula got 6 responses
- 4 for the Fri night opening, 2 against it.
- Comments included:
- Not able to take 2 days off work for Thurs set-up
- Issues with serving wine
- Offer free cake & coffee either Fri night or during the
- Decorate with balloons, etc
- Have drawings for pottery, or drawings for 50% discounts on
- Paula phoned Joan at Oregon Crafted for publicity ideas
- Get the media there
- Have live music
- Give an award to a pottery mentor
- Contact George Evans the Marketing Director for Bach Festival
- Still more discussion...
- Motion to have a Friday Night Gala Opening then proposed, seconded,
and almost unanimously passed. Karen said no, she is still 'concerned'.
- RE: Media event on FNGO,
- Paula contacted Kitty Piercy's (Eugene Mayor) office last month,
talked to an assistant, no negative feedback.
- Mary H will talk w/ __ of Food 4 Lane County, a friend of Kitty
Piercy. Perhaps we can get a couple of mayoral candidates for a
'mud-slinging' (pot-throwing) event.
- We need a sub-committee to Organize the FNGO.
- No volunteers stepped up.
- Susan will contact Alyssa.
- Mary H -
- With a Friday opening, we save $100, by having the Fire
Marshall check out our show on a weekday - For a Saturday
morning opening inspection, we were paying the Fire Marshall
- She will schedule the Fire Marshall walk-through at 3pm on
- This means that all booths must be set-up by then, only stocking of
pots after that.
- Avi - Will organize pipe & drape here a day earlier
- Paula - Already has Clayfest penciled in w/ the Fairgrounds for a
- Food & Entertainment are the 2 things that need to be dealt
- Time of Clayfest -
- Begin at 5pm on Friday, same as the Home Show.
- End at 8 - one 3-hour workshift - Sunday we close at 4pm, so
what was the last workshift then will moveto the Friday
- Show dates are October 10, 11 & 12
- Must pay dues by application deadline (This is a change from
- This is a Local Clay issue - Michael will bring this up at the
next LC meeting - their next meeting is Thurs, March 20 - a
- Karen reports that LC membership has dropped from 137 to 97 in
one year - perhaps because of the requirement that dues be
paid by Jan 31, or a penalty paid to be in the show.
- The early membership requirement was for the membership list - perhaps
not so important now.
- There are a number of things in the CF application that don't need
to be itemized until the Move-In Packet. Karen wants to delete them
from the CF application.
- Tim offered to put all the info on the website for anyone to
look up, at any time
- Later decided that Karen can amend the CF app and email to all
CF Chairs for final approval - this will be done soon, as the
app is to go out in a few weeks.
- New Pre-show timeline -
- Floor will be taped on Wednesday by noon
- Pipe & Drape can come in Wed after noon
- Gallery walls & pedestals painted Thursday am
- Booth set-up begins Thursday noon
- Gallery pieces accepted beginning Thursday noon (tentative)
- Gallery pieces set-up Friday by 11am (?) - to allow time for voting
- All booths set by 3pm for Fire Marshall inspection
- Stocking of pots only after 3pm on Friday
- Show opens 5pm on Friday
- Frank is our new volunteer Treasurer - Susan Fishel is the paid
- Frank offered a revised CF budget - Beginning cash carryover is
$13,642 not $15,897
- Projected Liabilities vs. Projected Income from Booth Fees and P&D
leaves us a Projected $2,378.
- This can be allocated as $1000 food & entertainment, $500 cushion,
$800 Clayfest donation to Local Clay
- Paula offered info from Fairgrounds caterer - who we are required to
- To have wine available: we purchase $450 worth, and sell 75
glasses @$6 each
- Cookies & punch, plate of brownies, coffee, etc each is priced
- Budget is unanimously accepted
NEW POSTERING CHAIR - is Katie Swenson - Welcome Katie
NEXT MEETING - THURSDAY, MAY 22 - 6:30pm Georgies - 7:30pm Booth