ClayFest 2004 Debriefing Meeting 10/12/04
In attendance : Kathryn Finnerty, Dan Schmitt, Mary Hindman, Frank Gosar,
Don Clarke, Michael Baines, Susan Fishel, Jeani Holder, Tracie Manso, Paula MacCullen, Linda Williams, Merry Newcomer
ClayFest 2004 - Quick Show Numbers
More in depth information on the show's performance
can be found on our informational webpage by clicking this link .... GRAPHS
Total sales : $66,018 - Saturday: $44,793 and Sunday $21,225. Currently showing $216 shortage which may
be corrections in bank deposits. 2003 sales were $62,083, $172 shortage. This year's sales were up ~6%
Attendance: 3,049 total - which is lowest attendance ever (4,400 first
year, 3,959 in 2003). Saturday - 1,949 people and Sunday - 1,200. Don will check with the Home Show to see if they
have corresponding attendance drop on Sunday. Next year we want to track the number of sales after 5:00PM. Weather
this year : Saturday had showers with heavy rain at times and Sunday was cloudy early with PM clearing.
Receipts : Committee Chairs please submit to Susan Fishel ASAP, would
like to have done by end of year to close out 2004 books. Remember to put Chair and Committee name, and expense
on each receipt.
ClayFest 2005 Show
The show will be held on October 15th and 16th 2005; is same weekend as Home Show. Don will reserve the auditorium
building including two set-up days (Thursday to allow building committee earlier access for set up). This could
allow earlier access for participants on Friday and would make things easier for Chairs who have major duties during
the set-up period. It was resolved that we are not yet ready to move to a larger space and that the Columbus Day
holiday probably has no significant impact on attendance.
Committee Chair Descriptions : Don passed out current descriptions and asked all Chairs
to please update and return to Don before the November Local Clay meeting. Kathryn will write one for Visa sales.
ClayFest 2005 Chairs Positions :
ClayFest policies state that after
a person has held a Chair position for three years the position must be opened up to the general public. It was
felt that those Chair positions that would be in their third year in 2005 should have Trainees so that the transition
in 2006 would be smoother. The table below lists the current openings for the 2005 show (the asterisk indicates
a Chair that will continue on after three years if no Trainee is found). Openings will officially be announced
at the next Local Clay meeting on November 17th.
||TRAINEE ( * )
||TRAINEE ( * )
||TRAINEE ( * )
||TRAINEE ( * )
||TRAINEE ( * )
ClayFest 2004 Show concerns
The remainder of the meeting was a sharing of ideas on how we could improve the show's management and function.
Attribution has not been noted since the objective was to capture all the ideas in an open dialog.
- Keep award pieces in Gallery until end of show.
Feasible to make arrangements to deliver pieces to buyers after show if they are agreeable and local. It was suggested
to have a digital camera on hand if a piece sold and not able to remain. Point for discussion in 2005 : have a
photographer come in to photograph pieces in event of above and to keep an historical record and provide materials
for web page, publicity, etc.
- Recycle box at exit for maps.
- New floor plan worked well with the exception
of some congestion around the Demo area. Look at more compact arrangement of chairs to keep things flowing. New
Demo location did seem to draw better audiences. Need a mirror over the Demo. Don has been unable to find a local
rentals of same, Showcase built theirs, cost was thought to be around $400.00. Will check feasibility of borrowing
Showcase mirror and/or building one. The Demo sign was missing from the area (usually hangs on the backdrop).
- The "This potter is working and Take to sales
table" signs were not around. Info or Signage committee needs to distribute at set-up or possible include
with Move-In packet (will people remember to bring them with them to the show?). General agreement to inventory
all the "stuff" we have accumulated over the years so we know "who has what" and then move
into storage unit.
- Set pricing instructions : current method is confusing
at best, we agreed to an alternate method which needs greater clarification in Move-In packet.
- Names on price tags : put the graphic description
back in the Move-In packet.
- Small post cards : many left overs : do we need
it or just print less of them?
- Music : prerecorded vs live. Apparently it caused
some discordance and distraction having a potter playing in his booth area. We need no distractions. General agreement
not to permit live music in individual booths, but no agreement on individual artists having recorded music in
- Demo sound system better than building sound system.
How do we get a better building sound?
- Need a Gallery Check-In sign (to match other ClayFest
signage) so participants know where to take their submissions.
- New gallery lighting was better but provided less
outlets for fountains, etc. Need to make accommodation.
- Need shelving in back room for extra Gallery pieces
- it was suggested to borrow from Showcase.
- Galley hosts : need instruction/briefing on their
duties. Perhaps a small card as people not doing well briefing their relief
- Gallery Typewriter : keep on-site during the entire
show for labels for new Gallery pieces from booth participants.
- Gallery only 3-piece rule : we will accept 3 pieces
maximum from Gallery Only participants (due to storage limitations). If all pieces sell, person may submit new
pieces (one at a time) that they are responsible for storing and transporting (we should not limited the number
of pieces at 30% commission).
- Gallery labels : There was some discussion about
upgrading the display cards, at a minimum we should not use headings (Name: Title: etc.).
- Booth participants : Sign in sheet when place
pieces in gallery:
- When setting up their booths (or at Move-out)
people did not remove tape and name tags from floor; also trash and empty boxes were left behind: Need to stress
clean-up in Move-In packets, consider a deduction or fee for not following these guidelines.
- Clay for Kids area was obtained from an other
source this year. Georgies and Bob Richardson were disappointed, they are major supporters of the show, suggested
that they be asked first.
- Baskets : need stacks at strategic areas around
show to make is easier for buyers to pick one up. Participants need to be encouraged to watch for buyer's needs
and be responsive and helpful : get them a basket, let them know about holding table. Do we need aisle hosts? It
was suggested to have a briefing for participants at beginning of show to advise what they can do to make show
better, remind about tags, clean up, etc. Do we need to bring more baskets from Portland or look at purchasing
- Holding table had no time limit and some pots
were there all day. Place a 3-hour limit, put name and start time on a slip. Who could monitor this (Sales supervisor)
or do we need holding committee to monitor during the show? Do we have a holding committee (who sets up?).
- Workshifts : some out of towners are signing up
for extra workshifts in lieu of committee work and they are experiencing burnout during the show (they end up with
four three-hour workshifts). Can we give them options such as committee work they can do upon arrival (set-up,
security, etc.). Some Committee work has tighter time constraints, are Chairs taking this into consideration when
requesting number of people needed?
- Don suggests we have an ad-hoc group discuss alternate
ways to handle getting all the work done (in light of the confusion and apparent unfairness of the current committee
and workshift designations).
- The new Gallery from OPA was installed without
much problem. Should we consider building our own gallery structures vs borrowing from Showcase. Would have up
front costs which may be offset by eliminating need to rent truck to transport from Portland. It costs ~$500.00
per year for transport costs plus extra work for those transporting, liability issues to Showcase if items damages,
lost. It was suggested that a design and budget we developed for presentation to the Steering Committee at the
initial budget meetings for the 2005 show.
- Pipe and drape : This year "corner booths"
were initially set-up with all three sides which meant lots of re-do as most artists wanted to take advantage of
the extra open space of the corner. Application packet will cover this next year.
- The overnight bookkeeping extravaganza : okay
now but will need a committee member as sales increase - this would be good for out of towners.
- The "back room" business office ran
frighteningly smooth and the new (old) copy machine from the Farmers Market was very helpful.
- Sales Area ran smoothly except tags with no names
and tags that fell off. Need to stress in Move-In packet : first initial and last names, and IF putting tag on
non-glazed surface, use tape or some other means to keep attached to piece. We also had some computer generated
tags that were extremely difficult to remove intact from pots.
- We ran out of paper bags again and it was decided
to look at purchasing bags in bulk and keeping only the "box" requirement.
- One potter had a "representative" staffing
their booth. Our policy has been that this is not allowed. This was not broached during the show, but should be
highlighted in the application packet.
- This year the postcard mailing was slightly earlier
than usual and we agreed to move mailing of postcard back one week so it is closer to show, more time for graphics
to complete the card.
- A possible sponsor was introduced if we can use
their hemp based products. The paper did not appear viable for the postcards, but possibly for 8.5 x 11 paper needs.
- A participant: expressed concern about student
photographing work without permission. Remind teachers to advise students to ask permission. Also, no interviews
at Sales table or during any other work assignments.
- Application improvements are going to be integrated.
Also we agreed to decrease application period to move up booth selections, work and committee assignments, etc.
- Do we need a policy for Chairs and/or Trainees
not doing jobs?
- Missed Workshifts are subject to 5% deduction.
It was agreed to add non performance of Committee work as well.
- Signs showing "open hours" of the show
(for the front doors) during set-up did not get to the show.
- Still had people confused about where ClayFest
was. More signage on building, more on the fairgrounds, possibly sandwich boards. Need to get all these things
to the storage unit so that they get to the show.
- Register Guard Ticket section needs to get more
than one-line coverage (send a press release).
- The large map for the Gallery wall needs to be
posted only at show time. Potters can check small map on hand-out for booth locations to prevent damage to large
- It was suggested that we laminate a set of show
posters to display on gallery walls. Need to get a good copy of each.
Next meeting : Tuesday January
25, 2005, 6:30PM, at EWEB.