Clay Fest Steering Committee 6/23/04

In attendance : Michael Fromme, Mary Hindman, Don Clarke, Paula Mac Cullen, Frank Gosar, Cynthia Spencer, Linda Williams, Dan Schmitt, Michael Baines, Jeani Holder, Dan Minard, Elise Corin, Barb Haddad, Tracie Manso, Merry Newcomer

Don called the meeting to order at 6:10. He reported that 79 applications have been received for the 56 booths in this year's show. Dan Schmitt asked why the application period was so long, that someone had expressed concern about the length of time it took to find out if one would have a space in the show. After a short discussion, it was decided to look at the procedure in the January policy meeting. Shortening the application deadline would also move up the timeline of other processes such as committee assignments and would take the pressure off the deadline for the small/summer postcard.

Signage : Michael reported that the upright banners were approved by the fairgrounds. She is checking on availability and cost of the brackets needed for installation. It is hoped that the actual installation cost can be included in the current fee paid to the fairgrounds for the hanging of the sales area sign. Michael will also ask the fairgrounds if it would be permissible to post directional/informational signs in dirt areas in the parking lots and if so get costs.

Sponsorship : Mary Briggs was not present to report on sponsorship. Don read from an e-mail update she had sent him that the letters and envelopes are ready but had not yet been sent out, she asked for assistance in addressing and posting them. Jeani H volunteered to do so. Sponsors need to be identified by the end of July for inclusion on the large postcard and poster.

Issue raised : Several Chairs discussed whether or not we need to write a policy covering action to be taken if someone volunteers for a Chair position and then does not follow through on their responsibilities. After some discussion of possible options, it was decided that this issue is to be addressed at the January policy meeting.

Graphics : Frank is getting the small postcard ready, needs more images ASAP. Also got the artist list from Don for inclusion on the card after booth selection was completed. It was decided that the large show map does not need to be laminated and an extra copy (possible reduced size) will be available at set up check·in to assist potters in locating their booth spaces. A small handout map will be available for distribution this year and will be displayed/available next to the large show map.

Publicity : Dan Schmitt has spoken to Jerry Williams, editor of Art quARTerly about a feature article and image. A 500 word write up would be published for free (under the condition that we write the article) with a full page image at $200.00. There may be a possibility of a cover image. Dan will speak more to Jerry and agreed to write the copy for the article.

WebPage : Don is in the process of updating the web site, asked for images, especially of Clay in Education projects.

Workshifts/Committees : Linda reviews committee staffing needs : poster-Cynthia 10; building-Mary H 7; signage-Michael 2; publicity Dan S 1; physical set up-Michael B 6 (Janet Buskirk is renting a truck in Portland and delivering the gallery walls, etc); security-Cheryl 6; gallery display-Paula 5; sales area-Tracie 1 or 2; visa -Kathryn 1; Kids Clay- Kay 1 + Elise (trainee); bookkeeping- Jeani 0; cash- Dan M 1 (with no work shifts). Workshifts needs were also reviewed. Linda will divide up the available applicants and have the assignments in time for the Move·In packet to go our mid-August.

Registrar : Don asked for final input into the Move·In packet. He was asked to clarify cancellation deadline wording; dropouts need only notify registrar who will pass on info; gallery voting: earlier deadline to allow set-up to place the winning pieces in a special arrangement, give out awards earlier to allow public involvement: Paula will take into consideration and we will revisit at next meeting. Don said packet is set to be mailed mid August.

Next meeting was set for Tuesday September 21, 6:30PM, location TBD (with strong endorsement of continuing to meet at EWEB).

Meeting was adjourned at 7:18pm and was followed by booth selection.