Clay Fest Steering Committee 6/2/05
In attendance : Paula MacCullen, Shirley Huft, Jerry Huft, Mary Hindman, Rhoda Fleischman, Faith Rahill, Dan Schmitt, Susan Fishel, Frank Gosar, Holly Dubrasich, Don Clarke, Grace Sheese, Kathryn Finnerty, Jeani Holder, Michael Baines, Linda Williams, Merry Newcomer
Reminder to mark receipts : chair + category, prior to submission
Signage options : Don spoke to Pam at Fairgrounds re: more placement options; she said only not to place on sidewalks/lawn adjacent to buildings occupied by the Home Show; can place in grassy areas in parking areas and she will allow us to use their sandwich boards (2’ x 4’); Michael F will follow up on this.
VISA : Spencer has proposed an option that may save us $500 to $600 on Visa charges, using a different vendor. We have been paying 3 to 4% with Pacific Continental. We may be able to use OPA’s machines if can be temporarily programmed to direct the transactions to our account and then switched back for OPA use. We would need OPA’s permission to use the machines. The agent Spencer spoke to said we could possibly get a charge of 1.67% + 20 cents per transaction by using a different vendor/service provider. After getting a firm proposal, it was suggested that we take it to Pacific Continental to see if they would match the deal. Did the 3rd party work well for OPA? is a question that needs to be asked. The VISA Chair, Treasurer and Bookkeeper will follow-up and decide.
Sponsorship : letter has been sent out, so far, Georgies has committed to $1,000. We need to be sure to include them in all promised advertising for that level and given them first option on providing clay, etc. for the show. The levels listed on the letter were not reviewed by the committee and it was asked if they should have been. It was determined that some level of review is desirable to assure correct deadlines, appropriate wording, etc. The goal is to increase sponsorship.
Graphics : not doing the small, early card this year; preferred deadline for submission of slides/photos is 6/30, absolute deadline is 7/31.
Galley changes : we are not able to borrow the same pieces from OPA this year, the student gallery will be available. In conjunction with our pedestals, Michael B said it will work, will try to set up Thursday afternoon to have extra time for adjustments. We may need to procure more lights or shelves. Robert W may have some pedestals for sale, Michael will check on that.
Demo mirror : Rhoda said she will have time to build it later this summer.
Booth status card will direct people to Holly to add/update their mailing lists.
Webpage : Don is updating, send new images to him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Oregon Crafted : has requested space at show, unclear how much they are asking for, may be some space available on the Info Table.
WorkShift : Linda received update from Paula but none others so will use last year’s numbers for any Committee Chair that did not request changes.
Move-In packet : delete bringing bags as we will be purchasing this year; 1/2 booth is actually 6’ x 10’ but will leave as 5’ x 10’ in packet; reviewed "no agent/rep" issue -family member/spouse may help out with stocking etc. The intent is to have all our participants at the show, available to the customers so we want to discourage potters doing other shows the same weekend and having an employee or other staff their ClayFest booth; back-to-back workshifts do not allow person to show up for their next shift "5 minutes early" - we do give 5 minute grace period and need to accommodate those with back-to-backs through that. Gallery tag : move to bottom of page to make it easier to remove.
Awards : Paula will check with Alissa re: in kind donations that can be used. Rhoda may still have some of her ceramic ribbons left.
Next meeting : Monday September 19 at 6:30PM at EWEB
Meeting was adjourned; booth selection process followed at 7:30pm. All booths were allocated and a waiting list of 21 was established. Booth assignments and a floorplan are available on the webpage at http://www.clayfest.org/artists.htm